To Vote or Not to Vote? Is it even a question ?!!!
I received my mail-in ballot today, and so the time has come for me to step up to the plate and swing away! This is my one shot -- the great equalizer -- the time when I as a citizen can make sure that, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, "government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth." (Gettysburg)
It is incomprehensible to me that some choose not to exercise this right, some because of disgust at the rancor that is involved in politics generally, some because of the feelings that one vote simply does not matter (that much). But the truth is that this is the one place where POWER STILL RESIDES. It is the place that generations have fought to provide us in wars both foreign and domestic! It is the place of FREEDOM. And this is the POWER OF FREEDOM.
If there is a shadow of doubt in your mind about taking part in this electoral process in 2010 and beyond I ask you to take a couple of minutes and look at the video linked below. It is by Christian historian David Barton, a well-respected voice reminding us of our roots in America and our responsibilities as Christian citizens. Take a look:
WallBuilders - Issues and Articles - Your Vote Counts Video
Statistically, only 25% of those who claim to be Christians vote in this country. Only half are even registered to vote and only half of those registered actually follow-through and vote! It is a moral outrage and the single, and most insidious reason for the state of our nation today! WAKE UP, CHURCH! And be who you are meant to be.
We live in a free society, but freedom is not free of responsiblity. So let the hand ringing and tongue-wagging stop, and get to the voting booth. Let us make RIGHTEOUSNESS the standard for leadership in our land. Keep your eyes open for signs of an inner compass in the candidates you vote for. Keep in mind the standards that God sets:
"He hath shown thee, O man, what is good. And what doeth the Lord require of thee? But to do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God." (Prophet Micah)
"You need to keep a sharp eye out for competent men -- men who fear God, men of integrity, men who are incorruptible -- appoint them as leaders..." (Exodus 18:21 The Message)
Now go and do your duty... as a Christian... and as a citizen of the United States of America. VOTE!!
- Back to Blog
- YGod - Class overview and Reading list/syllabus
- YGod? #1 - What is Faith? Why have it?
- YGod #2 - Arguing for the existence of bread
- YGod #3 - A People of the Book, Part I
- YGOD #4: People of the Book, Part II
- COEXIST! REALLY? (Darren Johnson)
- Evil and Morality (Ken Rees)
- A WITNESS TO ISLAM (D. JOHNSON)
- Heaven and Hell (Kenneth Reese)
- 2019 Giving Worksheet (PRINTABLE)
- REZANGLICAN LENTEN STUDY GROUP
- Praying Shapes Believing
- The Incarnational Principle
- Anglican Sacramental Theology
- A New Anglican Reformation
- Worldwide Anglican Communion I
- Reformation History I & II
- BCP, Parts 2 & 3
- Praying in Gospel Time (Intensive Workshop)
- Ashes to Ashes (Intensive Workshop)
- The Book of Common Prayer, Part 1
- Celtic Saints (Part 3)
- Celtic History, Part II
- Celtic History, Part I Notes