Feels like a year since I've been here! Sorry.
A lot of events, crises, travel and whatnot seems to get in the way of taking the time to think and write.
We are already approaching the mid-way point of Lent, unbelievably! The Hamilton Study on 24 Hours that Changed the World is grabbing our hearts and our imaginations. That one day - the most significant day in the history of the planet -a day of pain and infinite love; a day of betrayal and tears; a day of blood and sweat; a day for me and for you.
One Day! Sundown Thursday to sundown Friday. The meal with friends: This is My body, broken for you; this is my Blood, of the New Covenant, poured out for you;
The washing of feet - lowest place of servanthood in the whole society - "If I, your master, wash your feet, you should also wash each other's feet!"
"Love one another, as I have loved you! "
Love in the face of betrayal by trusted friends. Perhaps the hardest test of love there is. Followed by the mock sham of a trial and another betrayal, by your best friend! The look - eyes meet - what was the unspoken message?
Peter! I love you. I'm sad, but I know your heart. I know your weakness ... and your strength. Weep now and through sorrow gain resolve. Repent and follow me. We have much to do.
Perhaps the unspoken language of this look from Jesus conveyed for Peter the stuff of life transformation. He was broken by it - and put back together by it. Jesus never betrayed or rejected Peter in return, even in his look across the courtyard as the cock crowed.
"He will never leave us or forsake us."
"Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on the hard wood of the cross, that all the world might come within the reach of your saving embrace! So clothe us with your Spirit, that we, reaching out our hands in love, may bring those who do not know you, to the knowledge and love of you, for the honor of your Name. Amen"
(Book of Common Prayer, Morning Prayer, P. 101)
- Back to Blog
- YGod - Class overview and Reading list/syllabus
- YGod? #1 - What is Faith? Why have it?
- YGod #2 - Arguing for the existence of bread
- YGod #3 - A People of the Book, Part I
- YGOD #4: People of the Book, Part II
- COEXIST! REALLY? (Darren Johnson)
- Evil and Morality (Ken Rees)
- A WITNESS TO ISLAM (D. JOHNSON)
- Heaven and Hell (Kenneth Reese)
- 2019 Giving Worksheet (PRINTABLE)
- REZANGLICAN LENTEN STUDY GROUP
- Praying Shapes Believing
- The Incarnational Principle
- Anglican Sacramental Theology
- A New Anglican Reformation
- Worldwide Anglican Communion I
- Reformation History I & II
- BCP, Parts 2 & 3
- Praying in Gospel Time (Intensive Workshop)
- Ashes to Ashes (Intensive Workshop)
- The Book of Common Prayer, Part 1
- Celtic Saints (Part 3)
- Celtic History, Part II
- Celtic History, Part I Notes